For Overlap - thanks to a new 18 month funding agreement with Arts Council England - we're taking our interdisciplinary and experimental ethos to a new level, with a series of live events and commissions which will specifically interrogate the tensions between performance, writing and music as artistic practices; looking at where the boundaries lie, and how we can work on long-and-short-term projects, to deliver truly original work at the point where they intersect.
Highlights include new commissions:
- Forest Swords with Samizdat and Nathan Walker, working on brand new one-listen-only tracks on self-destructing vinyl cut at Ted Riederer's Never Records, with 'dirty-concrete' text, for Specters of Spectacle - AND Festival's launch. Blog post here by Andrew Ellis on this work.
- Ross Sutherland, working with film voice-over and the loop.
- Steven Fowler, on mantra and trance with experimental writing and the tape loop. 12th Nov.
- Holly Pester and Nathan Jones, exploring computer voice, public announcements and uncanny intimacy at the Bluecoat. Oct 11th-16th.
- Scott Spencer working with QR Codes, Augmented Reality and gaming throughout Liverpool
- A new interface by Sam Meech, enabling experimental writers responding to performance with live writing
Overlap is structured around partnerships with key festivals in the city, and features four main events (new comissions in bold):
- Spectres of Spectacle for AND Festival
with programming support from Samizdat and La Racaille
9pm-Midnight, 29th September @ Static gallery
Hauntology manifested across music, performance and the word
featuring music performance from Maria Minerva, Anat Ben David, Forest Swords
with Victoria Gray, Nathan Walker
- Electonic Voice Phenomina as the finale of the Bluecoat Chapter and Verse Festival
8pm-11pm, 16th October @ the Bluecoat
A unique showcase of performers who use, or mimic, electronic processing in vocal performance
featuring a new commission from Nathan Jones and Tom Rea Smith
with Holly Pester, Mark Leahy, Emma Bennet and tuvian throat singer Soriah
- Glitch Karaoke + Ross Sutherland double header!!!!
date and venue tbc
Embrace the glitch. Evening of lo-fi, cut up and new technologies
Daniel Rourke and Kyoung Kim connect karaoke sessions between Korea, London and Liverpool
plus a brand new film-loop commission from Ross Sutherland
- Infinite Love at Liverpool Music Week, Samizdat host Mercy!
11th November @ CUC
Mantra, trance and the loop - guitar orchestra #2
Ex-Easter Island Head and Steven Fowler undoing the tension between language and trance
with Dusin Wong conducting his seminal guitar-loop album played live by 14 guitarists, score by Jon Davies
The programme is co-curated by Mercy, with new cohort Mark Greenwood.